Annual Report 2001
Home Up Annual Report 1999 Annual Report 2001

Stakeholder
Hospital Overview
Primary Health Care (PHC)
Administration
Projects
Christian Witness
Staffing
Future Plans
Annex1
Annex2
Annex3
Annex4

SPECIAL FEATURES!

Table of Contents

 


ANNUAL REPORT 2001

Church of Central Africa Presbyterian, Livingstonia Synod

EMBANGWENI MISSION HOSPITAL

P.O. Box 7, Embangweni, Mzimba District, Malawi (Africa)
Telephone 265-342-282 or Embangweni No. 9
FAX c/o Frank Dimmock 265-750005
Email: FDimmock@malawi.net or ccaphealth@malawi.net

Mission Statement:

"Tiliko kuti tipereke wovwiri wa umoyo na kupharazga ukaboni wa Yesu Khristu"

"We seek to provide excellent healthcare and to preach the good news of Jesus Christ"

Outgoing Medical Officer in Charge: Dr. Neil Kennedy (Presbyterian Church in Ireland)
Incoming Medical Officer in Charge: Dr Maono Ngwira (MB ChB, MPH)
Administrator: Mr. JM Winesi (BA Hons)
Matron: Sr. C Mzembe, RN
PHC Coordinator: Mr. G. Mwala
Maintenance Officer: Mr. W.S.S. Zgambo
Accountant: Mr. S. Kaunda

History and Location

Embangweni Hospital is a 130-bed hospital located in the southern part of Mzimba district in northern Malawi. The boundaries of our catchment area are the Zambian border on the west and south, the M-1 highway (main north-south road in Malawi) on the east, and Moses Chilenge and Emazwini villages to the north. The hospital serves a population of about 100,000 people, with referral cases often coming from much further away, including Zambia. It operates 3 remote health centers located in Kalikumbi, Mabiri, and Mpasazi, with plans to open a fourth in 2002. Travel throughout the Embangweni region can be difficult, especially during the rainy months, November to April. The only access to the M-1, a distance of 30 km, is by either the Jenda or Perekezi Forest dirt roads. Embangweni is situated at an altitude of 4,000 feet, in an area of flat brachystegia woodland.

Work to establish Embangweni Station, also known as "Loudon", was begun by Reverend Donald Fraser and his wife, Dr. Agnes Fraser, missionaries of the Free Church of Scotland, at the end of the 19th century. Scottish missionaries came to Malawi following the death of David Livingstone. Clinical work by Dr. Fraser began in 1902. In 1926, under the direction of Dr. W. Turner, the facility expanded to become a rural hospital. A maternity ward was added in 1966. During the 1970s, the hospital doubled its size from 38 to 77 beds. In 1989 under the ministry of Dr. Kenneth and Mrs. Nancy McGill, the hospital greatly expanded its facilities and services to include separate buildings for maternity, pediatrics, male and female general care, as well as an operating theatre for limited surgeries and caesarian-section deliveries. The Primary Healthcare department has greatly expanded in scope and size in the 1990's.

Together with our sister institutions (Presbytery, Robert Laws Secondary School, Primary School, School for Deaf Children), Embangweni Mission Station will celebrate it's centenary in 2002.

NOTE:  For the remainder of the 2001 Annual Report, click on the sections below.

Stakeholder Relationships & Demographics

Overview of Hospital and Health Centre Services in 2001

Primary Health Care (PHC)

Administration and Finance

Projects and Maintenance

Christian Witness

Staffing and Training

Future Plans

Annex 1: Hospital and Health Centre Statistics 2001

Annex 2: Audited Operating and Capital Accounts - Balance Sheets - Financial Year 2000/1

Annex 3 - Staff Establishment and those in post (as of 31st December 2001)

Annex 4 - Visitors to Embangweni Mission Hospital in 2001

 

Uchindami kwa Chiuta (to God be the Glory)